Head of Legal
The main responsibility for this role is to lead the Legal business function in all compliance-related matters. This means you will:
Own the legal strategy
- “Own” means you are accountable to take the decisions and execute the plan, not just advise founders/team.
- Understand Salv’s strategy and determine the best legal course of action. Strike a careful balance to maximise our ability to grow and minimise our legal risks.
- Lead on the creation of an Intellectual Property strategy.
- Communicate and negotiate with external parties (clients, partners, regulators, external counsel, public authorities, etc.) to ensure that conditions are favourable to Salv and legal risks are taken into account.
- Own fundraising negotiations with investors from a legal perspective. This means negotiating terms, drafting documents, fulfilling due diligence requests, ensuring compliance with conditions and completing legal paperwork with authorities. Where necessary, bring in external legal advisors (and oversee their work) to finalise quickly.
Advise and support
- Offer proactive advice to Salv’s management and employees in a variety of legal topics in order to ensure legal risks are considered early and thoroughly by all relevant teams.
- Support the Privacy and Security team to foster and maintain compliance with the GDPR.
Build the legal function
- Build the legal function/team in Salv and mentor team members as needed, ensuring their work is in line with the legal business strategy.
Must have requirements
- Master of Laws (LL.M, M.A in Law, etc.) or an equivalent law degree Previous experience building or leading a Legal team as well as developing and executing legal projects in line with the company’s business strategy or work experience in a startup, scaleup, or an enterprise.
- Applicable knowledge of GDPR and Intellectual Property (IP) such that you can lead the development of legal strategy, perhaps using external legal experts.
- Proven ability to prioritise among many urgent and important tasks. Knows how to say ‘no’, how to ask for help and how to delegate.
- Out-of-the-box thinker.
- Take initiative to solve problems within your role/team or in adjacent teams to maximise Salv’s overall success.
- Ability to help and get help from others and largely resolve your own challenges.
- Ability to meet deadlines and good time management skills.
- Excellent at written and spoken English: Very high standards of grammar, spelling and linguistic accuracy.
- Ability to conduct legal negotiations with Clients and other third parties.
- Stellar communicator overall as you will need to regularly interface with Sales, Privacy & Security, Customer Success, and other teams.
- Basic knowledge of Estonian Tax and Employment law
- Knowledge of AML laws
- Experience with Contract Management Software (e.g. Juro)
- Experience with Work Management Software (e.g. Asana)
- Experience working in a startup environment
- Relevant AML or data protection certifications (e.g. CIPP, CIPM, CAMS, etc.)
- Written and spoken Estonian (European languages other than English may also be a plus)
What do we offer?
Beat financial crime.
You’ll be a part of — hopefully — making the world a better place for everyone.
Besides a competitive salary, every member of our team will get options. Of course, there are never any guarantees that we’ll succeed. But if we do — and that’s how we’re betting — they could be worth a lot.
Freedom, interesting challenges & learning opportunities
As in every small growing company, there are many hats that need wearing in the beginning, but as we grow, you'll have opportunities to focus on your favorite career tracks, including leadership. You’ll have freedom, but you’ll also have the responsibility that comes with it. You will make – and own – a lot of decisions. You need to figure out the best solutions for our customers. Get ready for a lot of challenges that need tackling.
Our team is full of mission-driven, kind-hearted people who love learning and big challenges. Some who have proven they can make awesome things happen in organizations like TransferWise, Skype, Pipedrive, and more.
Although almost all of our team is currently located in Tallinn or Tartu, we often work from other places. Which is part of why you can choose when and where you work, as long as you have an impact on customers and are aligned with the team.
At Salv, you won’t find corporate BS. You won’t find bosses who dictate what to do. And we hope you won’t find boring roles with inflated titles. Salv is just a place where you can make the right things happen.
Want to be part of our team?
If you’re ready to jump into our mission, take on a ton of responsibility, figure out what’s really important, and then build something from MVP to production-ready, then let us know by writing to our Human Resources Manager, Mari-Ann Ploompuu at [email protected]
Looking for something else?
We’re constantly looking for enthusiastic and mission-driven people to join our ranks. If you think this position isn't 100% for you, take a look at what else we’ve got to offer.See available positions