In-house Legal Counsel
Your main focus areas:
The main responsibility for this role is to lead the Legal business function in all compliance-related matters. This requires:
- Apply effective risk management techniques and offer proactive advice to Salv’s management and employees in a variety of legal topics
- Support the Privacy and Security team to foster and maintain compliance with the GDPR
- Communicate and negotiate with external parties (clients, partners, regulators, external counsel, public authorities, etc.)
- Draft different legal documents (contracts, internal policies, etc.)
- Undertake legal administrative tasks (contract management and due diligence checks, ensure compliance with relevant policies and procedures, etc.)
- Lead on the creation of an Intellectual Property strategy
- Maintain current knowledge of alterations in legislation
Who you are:
- Proven ability to prioritise among many urgent and important tasks. Knows how to say ‘no’, how to ask for help and how to delegate
- Out-of-the-box thinker
- Take initiative to solve problems within your role/team or in adjacent teams to maximise Salv’s overall success
- Ability to help and get help from others and largely resolve your own challenges
- Ability to meet deadlines and good time management skills
- Excellent at written and spoken English: Very high standards of grammar, spelling and linguistic accuracy
- Stellar communicator as you will need to regularly interface with Sales, Privacy & * Security, Marketing, Customer Success, and many other teams; and even with Clients and other third parties
- Master of Laws (LL.M, M.A in Law, etc.) or in final phases of completion of Master’s degree
- Previous work experience in a Legal team (Legal Counsel, contract manager, etc.), Law firm (associate lawyer, paralegal, etc.), or a Compliance team (EDD, AML, etc.)
- Proven knowledge of the GDPR and IP
Nice to have:
- Basic knowledge of Tax and Employment law
- Knowledge of AML laws
- Experience with Contract Management Software (e.g. Juro)
- Experience with Work Management Software (e.g. Asana)
- Experience working in a startup environment
- Relevant AML or data protection certifications (e.g. CIPP, CIPM, CAMS, etc.)
- Written and spoken Estonian (European languages other than English may also be a plus)
What do we offer?
Beat financial crime.
You’ll be a part of — hopefully — making the world a better place for everyone.
Besides a competitive salary, every member of our team will get options. Of course, there are never any guarantees that we’ll succeed. But if we do — and that’s how we’re betting — they could be worth a lot.
Freedom, interesting challenges & learning opportunities
As in every small growing company, there are many hats that need wearing in the beginning, but as we grow, you'll have opportunities to focus on your favorite career tracks, including leadership. You’ll have freedom, but you’ll also have the responsibility that comes with it. You will make – and own – a lot of decisions. You need to figure out the best solutions for our customers. Get ready for a lot of challenges that need tackling.
Our team is full of mission-driven, kind-hearted people who love learning and big challenges. Some who have proven they can make awesome things happen in organizations like TransferWise, Skype, Pipedrive, and more.
Although almost all of our team is currently located in Tallinn or Tartu, we often work from other places. Which is part of why you can choose when and where you work, as long as you have an impact on customers and are aligned with the team.
At Salv, you won’t find corporate BS. You won’t find bosses who dictate what to do. And we hope you won’t find boring roles with inflated titles. Salv is just a place where you can make the right things happen.
Want to be part of our team?
If you’re ready to jump into our mission, take on a ton of responsibility, figure out what’s really important, and then build something from MVP to production-ready, then let us know by writing to our Human Resources Manager, Mari-Ann Ploompuu at [email protected]
Looking for something else?
We’re constantly looking for enthusiastic and mission-driven people to join our ranks. If you think this position isn't 100% for you, take a look at what else we’ve got to offer.See available positions