Screening data scientist
We are on the hunt for a Screening data scientist
Our common mission is to beat financial crime – to achieve that, we’re building products to minimize the ways in which criminals can launder dirty money, from drugs, human trafficking, elderly abuse, modern slavery, illegal weapon trading, and so on.
We’re still an early-stage company, with around 30 people. We are a distributed team in Estonia, and therefore remote friendly. It’s your chance to join a rocketship at such an early phase and have a crucial role in making sure we offer high-performing and reliable products to our customers.
What help do we need?
As a data scientist for the Salv Screening platform you will have a direct impact on cutting costs and improving efficiency for our customers when it comes to making sure that the sanctioned guys are fully blocked from using the financial system. You will dig into data to cut down on false positive name matches, while guaranteeing transparency and auditability. You will also play a big role in optimising the performance of various phonetic matching algorithms.
The kind of data scientist who will thrive at Salv:
- A quick learner, who is able to work independently and spot areas of high impact
- Possesses knowledge and understanding of industry trends and new technologies, and the ability to apply trends to data science needs
- A great communicator. Strong soft skills and the ability to articulate complex and technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Has a proactive approach to spotting problems, areas for improvement, and performance bottlenecks
- Ably partners with development teams to improve services through rigorous testing and release procedures
- Can improve reliability, quality, and time-to-market of our suite of software solutions
In a magical world, a bunch of these things would be true of you:
- Experience with SQL, Python and/or R
- Basic knowledge of Elastic Search
- Experience with phonetic matching algorithms (e.g. Levenshtein, Soundex, etc.) and an understanding of their operating principles
- Experience working together with product teams in a fast paced environment
- Experience in actively participating in quarterly planning cycles and setting team KPIs
What do we offer?
Beat financial crime.
You’ll be a part of — hopefully — making the world a better place for everyone.
Besides a competitive salary, every member of our team will get options. Of course, there are never any guarantees that we’ll succeed. But if we do — and that’s how we’re betting — they could be worth a lot.
Freedom, interesting challenges & learning opportunities
As in every small growing company, there are many hats that need wearing in the beginning, but as we grow, you'll have opportunities to focus on your favorite career tracks, including leadership. You’ll have freedom, but you’ll also have the responsibility that comes with it. You will make – and own – a lot of decisions. You need to figure out the best solutions for our customers. Get ready for a lot of challenges that need tackling.
Our team is full of mission-driven, kind-hearted people who love learning and big challenges. Some who have proven they can make awesome things happen in organizations like TransferWise, Skype, Pipedrive, and more.
Although almost all of our team is currently located in Tallinn or Tartu, we often work from other places. Which is part of why you can choose when and where you work, as long as you have an impact on customers and are aligned with the team.
At Salv, you won’t find corporate BS. You won’t find bosses who dictate what to do. And we hope you won’t find boring roles with inflated titles. Salv is just a place where you can make the right things happen.
Want to be part of our team?
If you’re ready to jump into our mission, take on a ton of responsibility, figure out what’s really important, and then build something from MVP to production-ready, then let us know by writing to our Head of People & Operations, Kairi Pauskar at [email protected]
Looking for something else?
We’re constantly looking for enthusiastic and mission-driven people to join our ranks. If you think this position isn't 100% for you, take a look at what else we’ve got to offer.See available positions